Friday, November 23, 2007

Simple

An individual life is simple to an unbiased observer. The choices, views, values and relationships seem straightforward and logical. But if that observer becomes participant, he can see that everything is much more complicated. A life is influenced by a thousand sources, some of which he himself cannot name.

People change things. A ring is some shiny rock in a circle, until it is given to someone we love. People make some things sacred. Memories are shared through objects or rituals and these otherwise innocuous moments become much more special. A choice is made with reason alone until it affects those people whom we strive to make happy.

I am not sure where I am going with this, but I am feeling it today and thought I should share it. This next month I am going to lose a number of people from my daily life, and the next year will draw even more away. I am trying not to mourn those losses ahead of time, but it is hard for me not to.

Trying to be happy until the time comes,
Jen

No comments: